How did the Spanish system in México, from 1500s to 1810, create the seeds or causes for rebellion of 1810? Think of economic (landlords’) exploitation (see agriculture and labor handout), also rising wealth of the criollos, economic problems of the 1700s and 1800s (use notes from the video lecture); AND a couple of sentences on why Hidalgo was the leader that brought together the causes and peoples in the rebellion of 1810?
This is not an essay just listing information from handouts. It is also not an essay on the Hidalgo rebellion itself. The whole essay takes place before the Hidalgo revolt. So, no writing about the stop at the church of Atotonilco or the Guanajuato Massacre. This essay is about long term causes that hurt people and gave them a reason to rebel going back to the 1500s. It is about economic problems that lead to the Wars for Independence. It is also about the impact of government policies and ideas coming from other countries that influenced the educated and the wealthy to rebel. It can also include repression and unfulfilled dreams of certain groups of people.
(1) Use size 12 font (easy to read like Times Roman), double space, and one-inch margins (top, bottom and sides). No cover sheet. On the top of the document you must type your name and HIST 235.
(2) Essay should be between about 3.5 pages to 4.5 pages in length. You will be giving examples and explaining, not just mentioning information. I will accept essays that are reasonably longer, like 4.5 to 6 pages. But a long essay does not mean that it will be an “A” or even “C” grade. What matters most is what you are explaining and how you are explaining it.
(3) Introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
(4) You should use your spell-checker. I will not check grammar on these essays. But I must be able to understand you. Try to be very clear and specific in your explanations. Do not worry about accents or special letter on Spanish names or words.
(5) I want you to use detailed examples even if you feel that you are writing too much or getting wordy. I would rather read more than less. Focus on explaining information. Break it down. Write in organized coherent paragraphs. Be sure to answer the prompt. Do not invent your own question.
(6) Use my handouts and the notes that you took down from my PowerPointed lectures. Do not use online or any other sources. Also, you do not have to use citations, the way you do for a research paper. Do not include parenthetical references and a works cited page (MLA style). These are not research papers. They are explanation do-at-home essays.