Impact of hospitalisation on a child and their family
2. Critically examine the impact of hospitalisation for individuals and their families experiencing acute or chronic illnesses.
3. Evaluate person-centred care, using the Clinical Reasoning Cycle to individuals experiencing haematological, renal, gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal disorders.
Research indicates that the acute hospitalisation for management of exacerbations of chronic disease can have various effects on the psychological, emotional and physical wellbeing of the patient and their family. It is important as a nurse to understand these influences that can be experienced by the patient and their family and implement appropriate coping strategies to support patient and their family cope during this stressful period.
The purpose of this written assignment is to assess your knowledge of the impact of hospitalisation for patients and their families experiencing acute or chronic illnesses.
Tasks and Instructions:
• Write an academic essay where you critically examine the impact of hospitalisation on a patient and/or their family, who is experiencing an acute exacerbation of their chronic illness.
• The impact for both the patient and family have been provided for you.
In your discussion:
Choose ONE impact on your patient and ONE impact on the family
1. Provide a detailed and comprehensive explanation on how hospitalisation can impact the patient and the family
2. Suggest a coping strategy or strategies (could be 1 or 2) for each effect that could support a more positive experience. The number of provided strategies is not a focus but rather, a well justified and developed arguments validated by current academic sources to support your discussion is expected.
Impact of hospitalisation on a child and their family.
Chaz is a six-year old boy who has Asthma. He has been admitted into hospital following an acute exacerbation of his disease. Chaz is in Year One at his local primary school.
He lives with his mother, father and younger sister. His grandmother also lives with his family and she provides the care for both Chaz and his sister Ebony. His mother and father work full time in multinational companies.
Impacts ON PATIENT (CHAZ)
Fear being in hospital, Unfamiliar environment, Afraid of being left alone, May be come withdrawn or act out aggressively, Refusal to treatment and be uncooperative.
Impacts on family
Worry and distress, Stress of managing responsibilities, Helplessness, financial impacts, Guilt, Educational concerns for their child, Fatigue.
Begin with a title page
• Name and ID #
• Chosen Scenario
No introduction or conclusion is required
To assist with the marking, the body of your paper must include the following headings:
• Chosen impact on a patient
• Chosen impact on the family
• The reference list is to be provided at the end of the written tasks (not at each paragraph)
• Please note: the title page and Reference list does not form part of the expected word count. In text references and any direct quotes will be included in the word count.
• In this assignment, you are required to use the APA-6 referencing style.