Ethical Decision-Making Paper
• Choose one ethical dilemma from the two described below to read and analyze, applying the American Counseling Association’s (ACA) Decision Making Model as outlined in the document, “A Practitioner’s Guide to Ethical Decision Making.”
• The body of your paper should be 6-9 pages. Additionally, the paper should include an abstract, title page, and reference page.
• The paper should be written in current APA format.
• Divide the body of your paper into the steps outlined in the ACA document, using APA level headings throughout and making sure to address all questions for each section.
• Using the ACA Decision-Making Model as your guide, first outline the facts of the dilemma and the underlying problem, then identify all applicable ACA ethics codes and moral principles of the profession.
• Next, identify relevant professional literature that applies to dilemma and persons that would potentially be consulted.
• Then list all potential courses of action, describing potential consequences and implications for each course of action.
• Next, identify the best course of action and explain why you chose this action.
• Finally, review the selected course of action to see if it presents any new ethical problems, applying the tests of justice, publicity and universality, and end by describing what steps will be taken to implement the course of action
• At least 3 peer-reviewed journal articles must be cited as well as the course textbook. The web address for state rules/regulations must also be included.
Ethical Dilemma 2
Jason, a 7th grader, was referred to you by a teacher who said Jason expressed suicidal intentions because he is having some personal and family issues. You talk to Jason long enough to assess that he is at imminent risk of suicide. Since Jason is a minor, the school counselor contacts Jason’s parent(s) and prints a resource list of community mental health counselors to give to the parent. Is this the best course of action, ethically and legally, on behalf of this student?