For this assignment, you will answer the following questions. Ensure your answers are written clearly and use precise and accurate historical examples to defend all of your opinions and arguments. Adhere to APA Style when creating citations and references for this assignment. APA formatting, however, is not necessary. Your responses should fully answer each question, and your assignment should be at least two pages in length.
1. What were some of the primary causes of the fall of the Western Roman Empire? Which of these (if any) are we dealing with today? How do our approaches to societal problems compare to Rome’s?
2. How did Christianity and Roman society interact in the period of Late Antiquity? What are some specific ways they influenced each other? How does this relate to the relationship between religion and culture in modern society?
3. Rome was a model for Charlemagne’s Holy Roman Empire, Napoleon’s French Empire, the US government and design of Washington DC, Mussolini’s Fascist Italy and even Hitler’s Third Reich. What is it about Rome that has influenced so many later leaders and societies? Why do we keep going back to Rome as an example to emulate?
4. In what ways did Rome live on after its fall (perhaps in the Barbarian Kingdoms)? While the society of Rome fell has the idea of Rome created by the founders of the Republic, Augustus and Constantine ever truly fallen, or is Rome still alive and thriving today? Why?
5. In Late Antiquity society shifted from emphasizing material achievement to emphasizing spiritual achievement. How did this come about? Which do we emphasize in modern society, could it change, should it change, and what would
the effects of this be?